01 December 2006

The Wedding

Technically this event took place 5 days ago...and there is so much on my mind and heart...but I don't really know exactly what I will share or the detail that I will give. However, it is now time to write.

Here's some Campbell history. Simms' mom died August 2002 after battling cancer for 15 months. It was a difficult time for everyone but the whole thing turned Dad Campbell's world upside down. He went from preparing to retire and move to a beautiful home in Virginia (which Mom Campbell had designed) - a few doors down from lifelong friends - to delaying his retirement and moving into a two bedroom townhome in New Jersey. Everyone in life goes through difficult times...how we handle those times is what differentiates us. I witnessed Dad walk through highs and lows that affected him emotionally and physically. Through it all, he kept his eyes focused on God and gained strength from Him daily. Meanwhile, waiting in the wings were a number of loving and caring friends who were eager to introduce Dad to "someone special". When he was ready, he began to spend time with a variety of "special someones" and over time, God revealed the one that would share Dad's life with him...Mima (this is what our boys call her).

It wasn't easy meeting Mima for the first time. I will admit to being very skeptical...not necessarily because it was her; I believe I would have been this way with anyone. I know that I am not Dad Campbell's biological daughter BUT he is my dad too and I found myself reacting in a way that I would if say he was my biological dad. But God is good and He does truly work ALL things together for good to them that love the Lord and live according to His purpose. As a result, He has taught me a lot through this entire experience and replaced all my concerns/anxieties with His perfect peace.

One of my and Simms' concerns was how Jeter would handle this. Yes, he was only 15 months old when Nana went to heaven but he talked about her with us. She is still a part of his life. Barber didn't know Nana personally but we point her out in pictures and tell him about her. So, when Dad called to announce his and Mima's engagement we knew it was time to tell Jeter. His initial statement was "So Dad (meaning Simms), if Mima becomes Papa's wife, then that means that you are her stepson." Simms' response: "Why, yes Jeter, that is what it means". A couple of weeks later he made the declaration "I was just thinking...when Papa gets married then he will have two wives! Nana, who is in heaven and Mima, who is here!" Gotta love his innocence. We smiled and then told him that if he ever made that statement to anyone to be sure to provide the follow up explanation!!! God is so good. He takes care of every detail.

November 26, 2006. This is the day that Papa and Mima became Mr. and Mrs. Campbell. Jeter was their ring bearer. When we talked to him about this he responded with a *sigh* "You know this is a real challenge for me...I want to do it but part of me doesn't." I am pleased to say he did such a good job. Granted, all he had to do was walk down the aisle twice and hold the pillow without dropping it. Not a difficult task. Nevertheless, Simms and I beamed!!! Simms and I provided the music for the event. Simms sang "I Will Be Here", I sang "Grow Old Along With Me" and together we sang "Breathe". When Mima entered and walked down the aisle my eyes filled with tears...and I am not exactly sure why, but then I was ok and was able to smile and enjoy the entire ceremony. It was so special to observe them throughout the ceremony - both trying to fight off the tears, then each smiling through them (the tears) and finally, a hug and a kiss and Mima jumping in excitement in Dad's embrace.

The reception provided opportunity for us to visit with family and friends. I was able to dance with BOTH of my dads (my dad and Dad Campbell) as well as Barber. Jeter did not want to dance. Isn't he too young to start this?!? We also had some very special, individual moments with Dad and Mima.

We are so thankful that amidst the circumstances of life, God is always present.

So, to finish this post, I want to add to my thankful list. I am thankful for Mima. With her marriage to Dad, we are blessed with an increase of love in our lives too. Jeter and Barber love her and she loves them. She is becoming a special friend that I am getting to know more and more every day. And the smile that seems to be permanently fixed on Dad's face...that is the best. Praise be to God! He is a Daddy that loves, cares, is with us through the ups and downs, gives us what we need when we need it and even blesses us beyond our needs.

3 comments:

Erin said...

That was absolutely incredible!!!!! I loved reading it! A very happy ending! And, your son sounds like a sweetie!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. The wedding sounded as though it went very well. I would have loved to have heard you and JC singing!

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear the news and the process you all went through. I remember praying for the whole Campbell family in that season. Really glad to hear the story of God's goodness to all of you. And think how blessed Mima must feel - to have all of you in her life! Congrats are in order - to you all.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...