16 November 2006

Biology and Worship

You see the relationship don't you??? Well maybe you will after you read this post.

Biology is something that I enjoy. I taught it for almost eight years. I enjoy learning about life and I like to analyze.

Worship is something that I am passionate about and have been on a journey over the last 5 years learning more and more about worship.

The Worship and Creative Arts Ministry at our church has recently incorporated a Worship Foundations Class for everyone in the ministry to take. It is a 2-part class and focuses on worship and praise. Guess who is currently teaching this? That's right...me.

Last night was the first night of the second time I was teaching. Our worship pastor had already written the curriculum...I was just teaching it. The first time was kind of like...student teaching. That is the only thing I can liken it to; you have the material that you are supposed to teach and you do it but there isn't a sense of ownership. This time was much more comfortable for me. I incorporated some biology into the teaching...that may have something to do with it.

As I was preparing for the class yesterday and going over my notes with the audience of kitchen cabinets, God gave me an analogy that just clicked. That is what I am going to share with you now.

There is a portion of the class where we discuss the importance of personal and corporate worship. Personal worship being the one-on-one time that you have with God and corporate being together as a group. Now I am going to be relatively simple in my biology related info so I don't scare off anyone that gets queasy when they are reminded of science. We all start out as a single cell, a zygote...simple enough. This cell then multiplies and multiplication continues. Then the cells differentiate - which means they specialize and these specialized cells then group themselves accordingly. These groupings of specialized cells form tissues. When two or more tissues join together, an organ is created. Each organ in our body carries out a basic function, however it is only possible to complete that function when the tissues are completing their individual tasks and that will only be successful if the cells within that tissue are functioning properly. I used the stomach as an example in class: one tissue in the stomach is responsible in forming the outer layer of it...its role simply put is to form a barrier between the inner contents of the stomach (gastric juices) and the rest of the body. Another tissue is responsible for the level of gastric juice that is in the stomach which continues the process of digestion. However your body absorbs most of its nutrients via the small intestine. Therefore another tissue is needed that deals with the contraction of the stomach so that the somewhat digested food can move on to the small intestines. Finally there is a fourth tissue that connects the other tissues together forming the stomach. Hopefully you were able to follow that even though there weren't any pictures or diagrams.

Here is how it relates. Each of us is one of those cells. We have been given gifts and talents by God - that is what differentiates us. It is important for us to mature in those various areas. However, it isn't until we are linked with one another that the true purpose/calling that He has for us can occur. There are many other levels that this analogy can go...trust me, my mind has been spinning (how the various ministries within a church need to work together - tissues coming together to form the organ; how the multiple Bible-believing churches need to function together in unity - like the different organs in the human body have to function together). Hopefully you see the parallel.

I am just so thankful to be on this journey with Him. I appreciate how He speaks to me and uses what I am familiar with...isn't that what parables are all about?

So, be encouraged. The role you play is important and vital.

No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...