16 November 2006

Color Me Brown

According to Mom In Action I am part of the 75% of women that color their hair today. And although my mom was part of the 93% in 1950 and maybe even the 25% of today as of two years ago, she too joined me and the 75%.
So, if you didn't know prior to today, I have grey hair. Not the most devastating thing in the world but it is annoying. Most people don't know how much grey I have...even my super close cousin didn't know that I have been coloring my hair for about 9 years!!! My first grey hair was discovered by lil' sis when I was 19 (which would be 14 years ago)! She wasn't necessarily looking for it but a stark white hair is pretty obvious when it is next to very dark brown hair. You can imagine how much fun that was for me. This is a trait that I have inherited from my mom. I don't necessarily dislike white hair...I just don't want to be sporting that look myself. I was able to style and hide it until I was about 27 years old. Then I did the semi-permanent color and was able to last 12 weeks between treatments. I moved to permanent color around 4 years ago waiting 9-10 weeks between applications. I am actually getting my hair done today which is only 8 weeks since my last coloring!!! I am so not happy about that. Plus, the truth is, my grey was really showing at around 6 weeks and I have been struggling the past two weeks to style it so it isn't extremely obvious. Ugh.

This has been my family's reaction:

Simms: Wow. Look at that. You know I have grey too. (This from a natural blond where, if there is any hint of a grey or white hair, it looks like highlights!)

Jeter: I don't see anything mommy. I think you always look pretty. (Oh the innocence of being 5...we'll see if he says that when he is 10 or 15)

My mom: giggles....giggles...giggles...I am so sorry...giggles...giggles...giggles. (Yeah...that helps! And for all those that know my mom - the encourager, the compassionate woman of God - this is her "dark" side)

Lil' sis: That is a lot. I didn't know you had that much. But it's a pretty white not the dull grey. You know people pay money for that look. (She got my Dad's genes and has dark blonde/light brown hair with no grey to be seen)

My dad: Giggles. No really honey. It looks nice. You know...people pay to get this look. (What?!? Is he in cahoots with my sister?!?)

In all seriousness and all joking aside, this will be a non issue after 10am this morning...at least for another 6-8 weeks anyway!

***UPDATE*** I am now a medium brown with some "lightening painted in". It's different. It's pretty. I have to get used to it. We'll see what the family says now!!!

No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...