10 November 2010

My Church is...


What are you reading today?

Fiction? Non-fiction? Blogs - about food, decorating, mommyhood, real life, bargains?

I'm a bit eclectic with my reading and sometimes I go through phases or seasons.

Every now and then I come across something really good and I earmark it - literally or figuratively - planning to share it with so-and-so. Sometimes it's a really good recipe. Other times it's because it made me laugh or touched my heart.

Today it was because what I read felt like a reflection of some of my thoughts.

I don't totally remember how or when I first came across Trey Morgan's Blog. He is a pastor of a church down in Texas. I think I appreciate his honest approach to life - just telling it like it is and not doing a song and dance in the process. Anyway, today's post titled So, Where is Your Church? was definitely worth sharing.

Based on his post, I'd add that my church is

...helping children with their writing.

...at the elementary school that I volunteer at.

...conversing with other mom's and dad's at the soccer field.

...taking care of my kiddos and family.

...bringing a meal to a new mom or a family in need.

Yes, there is a building that our family goes to on a regular basis where we are able to meet with others - to encourage and be encouraged. But that isn't really what it is all about. That doesn't mean that those few hours aren't important...they just aren't necessarily more important then what happens all of the other hours in that week/month/year.

I remember when another pastor, who is still quite dear to me, challenged us to be climate / atmosphere changers. To recognize that due to the fact that He is with us, where we go, He is present. That is 24/7. Even though He spoke those words over 10 years ago - it is still relevant today and I have heard myself giving that same challenge to my boys. I don't ever want them to be limited by the walls of a building.

Having read all of this...I'd love to hear where your church is - and I'm not talking about the building.


No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...