27 August 2010

Lighting Up My Sky


Faith

You may be familiar with the verse that states ...faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1 NIV

Some say that faith is a cop-out. It's something you do or say because you can't deal with the facts.

From my experience, faith has given me the strength to deal with the facts. I face the facts - sometimes over analyze them - and it's because I choose to believe in One that is greater that I am able to not be stalemated by these same facts.

FACT: Today I learned that my Dad's PSA has jumped to 119.3. It was just in the 60's two weeks ago and about 4 weeks prior to that it was in the 50's. These are the facts and quite honestly, they seem unreal when you look at my Dad and he's not experiencing severe pain - if any at all. I'm not complaining about his lack of pain but it's a bit mind-boggling considering in 2005 he was essentially bedridden when his PSA was 17.1.

FACT: His bone scan supports the above facts. The cancer has become increasingly aggressive and more of his bone is under attack. Currently it's throughout his spinal column, his hips, and its creeping up his ribs. A spot has also developed on his skull as well as his leg - I believe it's his femur.

FAITH: My subsequent response? Honestly, I've succumbed to tears a few times today. How can I not? It's my Daddy we're talking about here. I've already exercised this morning (before I got the news) but I think I need another jog to help de-stress. Music is also a HUGE balm for my soul. Beyond that I continue to choose to trust God in the midst of the reality of the current circumstances.
What is faith to you?





No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...