12 October 2009

The Time of My Life

Do you ever feel different? I know some of you do - probably all of you have at some point in your life. The bigger question is - do any of you analyze how / why you are different from others? I do. I don't always figure out the 'why' I am different but I am pretty good at identifying the 'how'.

Thrills...stop laughing at me. LOL.

Here's the latest. My closest friends (and sis) already know this about me. I'm not a baby mama. What I mean to say is I don't go ga-ga over babies. You know the ladies that get all crazy when a baby is in the room and they just have to hold him/her. They make cute noises and ooh and awww at the various things that the baby may or may not do. The baby burps and they go nuts. Not me. It's not that I don't think they are cute. I do. I believe they are treasures that we are so blessed with and their lives are precious. I just tend to go crazy over them later on in life.

Like today - I got all warm fuzzies inside because Barber slipped out of the family room to get a piece of blank paper and pencil. About ten minutes later he proudly presented me with a note. It read:

Barber.
Mom
I heart (he drew a heart) U!!


It's the first note that he has independently written to me. I just hugged him and gave him kisses, listening to him explain how he put exclamation points instead of a period and how that changes the way you read it. My little boy is not so little any more. He is growing up and I am loving every minute of it. I am excited to see him mature - to watch him use discernment and make choices on his own. I almost start to cry at his enthusiasm to read and show me what he is learning.

I smile at the memories of my babies but I do not mourn them. I don't wish to go back. This is the phase that gives me an adrenaline rush. Don't get me wrong - I have loved my boys from the start of their lives - it's just that, this part of Mommyhood is so much FUN! I have two wonderful Little Men and I love checking their homework and listening to the happenings of their day. I count it a blessing to participate in as well as observe their growing independence - academically, spiritually and emotionally. I truly am having the time of my life.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I needed to read this. I feel so bombarded with the "it goes so fasts", "enjoy it while you cans", "live in the nows", that I sometimes feel consumed with guilt, daydreaming about the time when I'll be able to play adult board games with my children, chat with them and their friends around the kitchen island or watch a tv show or movie with them that doesn't annoy the (crap, I have to say it) out of me. I've loved them all with every ounce of my heart since the day they were born, but I know that the desire in my heart to have four this close together had nothing to do with wiping their bums and having them dangle off me while I get them snacks all day long. I've dreamed more about what the house will be like when they are teenagers bubbling around or them and all their siblings are bringing home their own spouses...not the baby or toddler stage. I hear you girl. And it was so refreshing that you wrote it, because I'm so used to the pang of "don't rush through it..." It's hard to think of another way to say it, but I'm ready for the day when it doesn't feel so much like survival mode and I start to see the fruit of all the energy and teaching. Thanks Nicole.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...