Blindside means to attack from the blind side; to attack somebody suddenly and physically by hitting the person on a side where his or her peripheral vision is obstructed. It also means to attack when vulnerable; to take somebody unawares suddenly, with detrimental results to that person.
Have you ever done this to someone? Maybe...if you played sports? In football, when this happens and a great tackle results, fans cheer and the replay is shown again and again and again. The commentator may even say something like "Whoa! He never saw that coming!"
I've also heard this term used when a car accident was referenced.
I think the reason why the results are so detrimental is because the person who is blindsided is unaware of what is about to take place and therefore completely unprepared.
I've recently experienced this. Not physically like a football player and my car is still intact. In fact, the individual involved was not necessarily purposeful in the attack, and yet, I felt like my feet were knocked out from underneath me. What made it more difficult is the source of the blow - from an unexpected and trusted source. The result for me was almost crippling and it would have been if I stopped here.
I think that is what many do - and I was tempted to. I had many sample conversations going on in my brain. I cried many tears. Stumbling through even one day is one too many. If this is where I stayed, it would have grown like a cancer and ultimately destroyed me.
What I did next is why I am writing this post. I want my boys to grasp this important truth. I want them to be empowered and know that there is always blessing in obedience - even if it feels like sacrifice. Feelings are real and you are allowed to feel them, process them, etc. However, the thing that will have such a huge impact on your life and those that you impact is what you do next.
So what did I do? Like I said, I was tempted to stew. On some level, it would have been easier but I couldn't do that. I don't want to live life that way. I can't live life that way. I first prayed - not anything amazing - I simply asked God for help and for Him to be with me - and then I called her. It wasn't easy. I had to allow myself to be vulnerable and transparent. I also had to listen to her heart.
It was worth it.
There are no walls. Our relationship is still strong.
This is real life. We crave relationship. Those we are in relationship with will hurt us. Sometimes, those we are closest to cut the deepest. How will we respond to the wound? Treat it or ignore it, allowing infection to breed and fester? Our choices will either strengthen or destroy our relationships. I value those that I love and therefore cannot ignore conflict. I pray that Jeter and Barber apply this throughout their lives as well - especially if someday I am the one that unknowingly blindsides them.
And that is why, if my son gets knocked down or tripped up on the soccer field, I am so proud of him when he gets back up, brushing it off and continues to play. He is practicing a life lesson.
24 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
1 comment:
Good post. I think we all have done this to someone, often unknowingly, and I know we can all point to a time when we felt it was done to us. It's life.
How we choose to handle it - and you shared a shining example of how to do it well, here - is what takes it from real life to real Christianity.
Kudos. Your boys are blessed to have you learning these lessons to model and teach them as they go. Your teachability will be their blessing.
Post a Comment