29 October 2008

R.E.S.T.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 NIV
This is what has been going on inside of me. Rehab of sorts. Not that extreme but I was not over exaggerating about being weary. Thankfully, He does provide rest.

It has been a week of refreshment and renewal amidst the circumstances of everyday life. Regarding those circumstances, allow me to provide a glimpse into the past week as well as some of my random thoughts.

1. My Dad, who has been fighting prostate cancer since 1998, was told that there was concern that his current therapy wasn't working any longer. A CT scan was completed last Wednesday and then a bone scan was done on Thursday. Results were not supposed to be in until today and then the oncologist was considering beginning a regimen of chemotherapy. However, last Friday the oncologist called my father and informed him that the CT scan showed that all of his organs in the thoracic, abdominal and lumbar region were clean - no sign of cancer! The bone scan showed that the area on his right shoulder and right hip area had increased but other areas where it had been were apparently of low concern. Praise God!!! As a result, he is going forward with a hormone therapy to fight against the cancer and they are no longer recommending chemotherapy at this time. We are thrilled and praying for God to completely heal my Daddy this side of heaven.

2. I had an afternoon last week where I just broke. Major waterworks. Thankfully Barber and Jeter were both at school or they might have become concerned for their mama. Sobbing. I don't recall when the last time I sobbed like that. Long time ago. Words cannot describe how good it was. How comforting to be completely vulnerable with Daddy God and feel his comforting arms surrounding me, embracing me. It was the release that I desperately needed and was actually longing for. Circumstances didn't change but I felt strengthened and equipped.

3. I've been listening and soaking in worship a lot - mainly via Rita Springer's Created to Worship CD.

4. Barber has been earning back a few toys and privileges every day. One interesting factor is that he has yet to use one of his bonus days to select TV. Amazing and yet so wonderful. He hasn't watched a single TV show (except for Giants Football the last two Sundays) since Saturday the 18th of October!

5. I got my hair cut and colored again. This really isn't new - I have an appointment every 7-8 weeks. I really don't care for the look of white hair on me. I had her pull the color through so highlights are gone until December. The boys either didn't notice or decided not to say anything. Crazy thing - my mom didn't notice today either - until I pointed it out. I feel like it is so obvious. Guess not.

6. Simms has been incredibly busy at work again. Draining. For both of us.

7. Divine Connection was incredible. The atmosphere was breathtaking. Beautiful. His presence was so evident. Beautiful Grace posted some pictures - take a looksy and then come back. I don't feel like words or pictures can truly portray how so many women (over 200) were met and ministered to by their Father. I did not get to individually participate because I was on the ministry team, however it was such a blessing to see and hear testimony of the faithfulness of our God. If you participated, I would love to hear about your experience!

8. I got a cold. I don't like colds. It's basically run its course but my voice now sounds Demi Moorish.

9. Only 3 soccer games left.

10. We had such a wonderful trip to Long Island. Not talking about the traffic here - rather the time spent with family and friends. Priceless. There were definitely a number of "small talk" conversations at the reunion, but I was pleasantly pleased by many that went a bit further. It was neat to reconnect with some friends - to the point where we are attempting to keep in touch. Imagine that?

11. I still haven't posted any pictures from the Giants game. Why? Because the place where I drop off my film screwed up. They had envelopes to one of their other stores (one that is an hour away from my home). I did not notice this. Why would I even look? So, apparently my film has been developed and is now very far away from me at this point in time. The fact of the matter is that they did not discover this mistake until I returned to the store 9 days after I dropped the film off. Imagine how many customers are going to have the same problem?!?Hmmm...another reason to take the plunge for the digital camera?

12. With Simms' help this past weekend, the house is finally clean. Granted I know that this doesn't mean I'm done and I'm sure it wouldn't meet Martha Stewart's standards, but I don't feel so overwhelmed anymore. It's at a point where I can maintain its cleanliness and even take on a project or two. We've also been giving the boys more responsibilities for them to complete before they go to bed.

13. Does anyone else feel like they missed Fall? I enjoy all the seasons and I feel like I blinked and we went from end-of-summer-like weather to the beginning of winter. What happened to wearing shorts with sweaters?

14. I've been getting organized for Christmas - sort of. Basically, I've made a list of presents that I already have for family as well as a to-do list. I can't further explain that because some of the receivers read this. Just trying to plan ahead.

15. Simms and I are going to a wedding in November. One of Simms' childhood friends is finally tying the knot. I just checked out the invitation again last night and noticed that its "Black Tie Optional"! It also doesn't start until 7PM. Don't know what my readers think of that because most of you are from PA. No time to go into details now regarding the differences I have observed between NY/NJ, and PA weddings. I will tell you this though - Simms and I are going to have a really great time! So grateful that Papa and Mima are caring for the boys that night! What makes it even sweeter is that Rayda is flying home to attend the wedding as well. It will be so good to see him again.

16. I have to pull MIA from the back-burner and get ready for November's meeting.

17. I need to talk to Simms and make some decisions about December - namely our Christmas open house. If we are going to do it this year or take a year off. If we are going to have it, a date needs to be set in the next week and I have to start preparing. That might sound nuts but in the past I started planning for this event 2 months ahead of time which meant the beginning of October. Obviously, I missed that mark this year.

18. Promises and I are getting together tonight! That might not sound like a big deal. You might assume that because we are close we see each other all the time. Would be nice but we haven't been able to get together without kids in a really L-O-N-G time.

19. I am so impressed that my boys are actually putting their clothes away at the end of the day or into the proper laundry basket. (darks or lights)

20. Barber is finally okay with the fact that he has to wear pants and long sleeve shirts - every day.

21. I just got the boys a pair of new pj's. The material is so00000 soft. Can they make pj's like that for me?!? I don't know if Simms would be a huge fan. Nothing like your wife decked out in racing cars?

I was trying to end this on an even number. Why is it that? I don't know. Anyway, I did determine something significant about the number "21"...it was Tiki Barber's number when he played for the NYG's. It just always comes back to the Big Blue Wrecking Crew. LOL.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

What has been playing on the CD player in the kitchen for the last two weeks: Rita, Called to Worship. I'm actually surprised that no one has requested that I change the CD. So, on it will stay until I have to share the sound waves with someone else. :)

Tiffany said...

You crack me up. I love when you type your thoughts out. Jason just asked me last night what you've been up to and if we've talked about getting together. So glad to hear that your flood of tears brought new encouragement. Maybe family boli night sometime soon? :) Love you!!!

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...