02 September 2008

Scrape. Rinse. Spit.

My apologies ahead of time to anyone that works in the dental hygiene industry...I just don't like going to the dentist. At all. Ever.

But now I am a mom and even though I have had some horrid negative bad experiences with dentists that kind of cause me to be on guard any time I step foot in their office (I seriously do NOT trust them) I don't want my boys to have this experience. So way back when, Simms found us a family practice that we currently go to. They are very nice but I even had a problem with them two weeks after Barber was born which could have cost me the ability to breastfeed my newborn - basically I asked if a certain treatment that they recommended was okay for nursing mothers, they said yes (even after supposedly double checking) and then gave me the pamphlets at checkout with the warning printed directly on it clearly stating under their WARNING section that nursing moms should NOT receive the treatment!?! I'll just let you imagine the scene that ensued with me making crazy phone calls to my pediatrician and angrily/tearfully/hormonally telling them that they need to fix this major mistake that they made all by themselves.

Where was I?

Oh yes. The boys. Wanting them to grow up without this distrust of the dental industry. Well, needless to say, if this practice wasn't so excellent with my boys I would be long gone. Actually if it wasn't for the need to be a good example to the boys and the need to have healthy teeth I would be perfectly content to never ever step foot into a dentists office again. But that is illogical. So I go. And the dentist that royally screwed up 4+ years ago isn't part of the practice anymore.

Guess where we were today? The whole family. Everyone did great. Even me. I do need a couple of fillings (those darn wisdom teeth - yes, I have all four) but other than that I cannot complain. Barber and Jeter absolutely love it there. They enter and leave with smiles on their faces. So far so good.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

I know what you mean: I hate going to the dentist to. Thankfully, we have the same experience: our kids love it.

Kelli said...

That should read "too" and not "to". Bad, bad English teacher.

The Gang's Momma! said...

So there with ya. I went last week and I was so tense and stressed the whole time that a lingering headache lasted all day. Not to mention that my mouth hurt all day too. :(

I've been known to double up a dose of ibuprofen before hopping in the chair - it helps a bit with the stress. Don't tell my doc. It's only twice a year.

Melissa said...

Wow...I don't think I have ever met anyone with all 4 of her wisdom teeth!!

My poor kids (#2 and #3) are well acquainted with the dentist...many fillings and extractions later.

Tarrah said...

I am the same way about dentists. I really really don't like going there. And the though of taking my kids is hard for me.

I'm glad you did so well, now I need to start thinking about it :(

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...