What do you do with your empty tissue boxes? How about the rolls from paper towels or toilet paper? I try to recycle them. Jeter does too. However his method of recycling is typically the "reuse" portion of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
Yesterday my mom was about to break down a tissue box when Jeter interrupted the process and asked her if he could have it. For what? Why for his creations. Sure enough before the evening was out, with the use of some tape, scissors, and paper, Jeter had created a mailbox for himself. It attaches to his bedroom door and has a latch that moves so you can open and close the opening to either put mail in or take it out.
My eyes saw garbage that needed to be broken down and disposed of and although it's not easy, I know that the vision Jeter had for this garbage is a talent that I need to encourage. Now the task is to figure out how to encourage it without having what looks like a scrap pile in my home.
This morning the creations continued with letters and envelopes for people to send Jeter mail. Barber decided he would be the mailman and began to deliver messages. Then Barber enlisted Simms help to write a letter to Jeter. The size of the notepaper was about 2 inches by 3 inches.
Barber: Daddy, could you help me right a note to Jeter?
Simms: Well why don't I help you write it?
Barber: Okay. I want to say 'Dear Jeter'.
Simms helps him sound out the letters to represent 'Dear Jeter'. It ended up being a "D" and a "J" because of the lack of space.
Barber: Daddy, now can you help me write the rest of the letter?
Simms: There's no room on the paper.
Barber: Yes there is (pointing to the small spaces left). Look...here...here...and here!
Simms: Okay. Tell me what you want to write.
Barber: Thank you for thanking me for bringing the mail to you...
Simms: Thank you... (Barber repeats the above statement again and Simms looks at me because of the impossibility to write all of this in the small space with a crayon)
Barber: Now write I bring the mail to you because you are my best friend and I love you.
Simms: I love you. (Barber again repeats the above statement and Simms looks at me while I smile)
Barber runs up to deliver his letter to Jeter's mailbox while I begin getting breakfast together and Simms goes outside to water the plants. Moments later Barber comes down the stairs asking "Where's Daddy?" I told him Daddy was outside. He proceeded to go outside and ask "Daddy, why did you only write 'thank you' and 'I love you'? That is not what I asked you to write!" I giggled knowing that was going to happen. You just can't fool the Campbell Boys.
24 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
2 comments:
Wow, you've had a lot going on lately. I love the part about not having anything to wear! Sometimes I feel like I had a teenage girl in my house, when my son runs up to his room and throws himself on his bed sobbing that he'll never get to do anything fun ever again!
So cute and funny and reminds me when I (we?) made mailboxes out of paper. I put the mailbox on one of the kitchen chairs outside of your room and we wrote letters to each other - do you remember that? This totally brought that memory back! :)
Post a Comment