Picture one task that you truly despise. Something that if possible, you would never ever ever purposefully participate in. Do you have something in mind? Now understand this - this is how my beloved Simms feels about paint - not as in color but rather the process of application of said color.
We moved into our house in 1997. The home was only two years old and the walls were still covered with flat white construction paint. I'm a color girl. I love the show Color Splash on HGTV (as well as many others - anyone else a Design Star fan?). While I appreciate all the warm hues, my decorating taste seems to lean toward the cool tones. Needless to say, the walls were screaming for some color and character and over the last 11+ years I have been quite busy with paint. Simms is very happy to see the project complete and desires to be part of the planning process - he likes design, he just isn't a fan of the process through which it happens especially if paint is involved.
In the last 11+ years, Simms has very successfully avoided paint. He has gladly helped pick out colors - and he's even helped me with taping off the room (thank you!) - but his involvement typically ends there. He did help when we worked on our Master Bedroom - which was our first real project in 1997. I think that sealed the deal for his dislike of paint. He also helped paint the crown molding for our dining room in 2003. It is now 2008 and although my mom helped a bunch - she also is housing family this weekend and needs to take care of details in her own home.
Yesterday's plan was to paint the top and bottom of the final wall. I completed the bottom portion with the chocolate brown and Simms was going to complete the top in the evening. That was before we knew he was going to put in a 12-hour day at work. I was ready to improvise - thinking I could paint the middle section today and then tonight Simms could paint the top. I shared this with him and he tiredly nodded his agreement. Then at 10:30PM (not even 2 hours after he got home) he surprised me and asked "So, you ready to go upstairs and paint?" What? Now? Are you kidding me?
He wasn't. His concern was what tomorrow would bring - the unknown hours of his workday. So we spent an hour edging and rolling paint on the top portion of the final wall. He did it without verbally complaining but his nonverbals told me what a loving sacrifice it was. What a funny picture we were at 11:30 last night. Me with a smile of glee at seeing my vision for the room getting one step closer to completion while Simms humored me with an almost painful smirk and a "Hooray. It's done." Well, his portion of the paint is done. I'll finish this phase tomorrow but I'm not even near "done". There's woodwork and furniture to be painted, a curtain rod to purchase, canvases to paint, frames to purchase and hang, etc. etc. etc.
23 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
4 comments:
I can relate!
The Husband was introduced early on in our marriage to my love of colorful walls when I painted our powder room a nearly fluorescent shade of pink in our first town home!
My tastes are a bit more refined now, but I still like my rooms filled with color, much to The Husband's dismay. Our next project is to tackle the black and red Micky Mouse bathroom and turn it into delightful shades of lemon and lime!
What a sweet guy! You are truly blessed.
I'm with Meliss - gimme color! Bold, saturated, and mostly warm tones.
We should have a big reveal of Baby Aidan's room coming soon - hung the curtains today. Just a few more steps and it'll be ready for her!
And pics! I need pics :) :) Did I say that already?! :)
Well, I guess I will have to get over to your house again to take some pics for you...if you would like! I guess you still have a little more to go before you reveal the after! :)
Post a Comment