12 May 2008

Monday's Musings: Revival

We cannot organize revival, but we can set our sails to catch the wind from Heaven when God chooses to blow upon His people once again. - G. Campbell Morgan
I'm going to be watching two boys for a friend today and so I won't be able to add my thoughts until later today. Meanwhile, comment and/or link below. I am looking forward to reading your thoughts regarding this!

Okay...I'm back. I have so many thoughts and feelings on this subject that it's sometimes difficult to keep it all straight. And I'm not promising that it will be my normal analysis. Lots of meshing going on between the left and right sides of my brain right now.

My parents were saved in the early 70's now defined by some as the Jesus Movement. Our family initially attended a baptist church but later began attending a "holy roller" style of church. So that is where I grew up. We went to church on Friday and Saturday nights as well as Sunday afternoons. Now as a parent I am amazed that they did this - EVERY WEEKEND. There was no child care on Friday and Saturday evenings. I remember Promises and I would bring in a couple of our favorite stuffed animals and Mom always had paper and writing implements for us to draw or color. We also would eventually fall asleep on the floor in front of our parents feet. We heard wonderful messages from a variety of evangelists, teachers and prophets. It was normal for me to see people shaking, fall down or weep in the presence of God. Promises and I would watch the people go up for prayer and I would sometimes try to guess if they would fall down or not and/or how long it would take. Normal service length was 3 hours and depending on the speaker that weekend it could easily go longer.

This is what I knew. This was normal for me. And then I witnessed what happens when man steps in, corruption ensues and destruction occurs.

Pain. Hurt. Skepticism. Distrust.

I'm not going to document the 25+ years that followed. It isn't necessary for this post.

Truth is despite the feelings that followed and I have had to work through I know that what I witnessed as a child was really and truly a move of God. I felt and experienced His Presence. He is a part of my life and that is real. It isn't conjured up or man-made.

As a result, when people talk about revival, my heart cries for Him to return - to "blow upon His people once again". I desire to see lives changed in a positive way; for individuals to know and experience the love of Daddy. But I don't want this for a mere season. I've been praying for a revival that doesn't end. No one has told me to do that - that's just where my heart is and has been for years.

So I pray and desire to have my sail set because I want to be a part of whatever God chooses to do. I want the real deal - the authentic move of God.



1 comment:

Trish said...

It's so interesting to hear about different people's backgrounds and how it affects their perception of what is happening in the present.

And can I tell how surprised I was when the first thing Pastor Dave said when he stood up on Saturday night was this quote!

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...