March 2007. While shopping at Lowe's and gearing up for our spring projects, who is behind us in line but Simms' urologist. We chatted (like seriously what do you chat about with your urologist?!? Ask Simms. I was more like the penguins in the movie Madagascar 'just smile and wave boys. Smile and wave'.) and then while walking out to the car, Simms admitted to me that he needed to make another appointment.
The appointment was scheduled and we met with him in April 2007. It was apparent that the stricture had returned and another surgery was needed. The question was who. His urologist noted that there was a physician at Hershey Medical but he believed that his specialty was only pediatrics. Based on that, he referred us to Johns Hopkins or Eastern Virginia. We were leaning towards Eastern Virginia because they seemed to be cutting edge regarding urethral strictures. We just needed to get our insurance company to agree with us.
This began a long process which lasted for almost a full year. The insurance company would not approve anyone out of state and after an appeal they stated that there were over 40 urologists that were qualified for this procedure in the state of Pennsylvania. When those urologists were contacted there was only one who would even consider taking a look at Simms' case. If he refused after reviewing the information then we would gear up for a second appeal. Ironically the doctor who agreed to see us was the same one previously mistakened as specializing solely in pediatric care. It is true that he is a pediatric urologist however he also specializes in adult urethral strictures.
So we met with him. We liked him. He is confident but not overly-so. Simms was able to joke around with him while dealing with the seriousness of his condition. It was also helpful to personally know a number of his pediatric patients - all who have experienced success.
Surgery was scheduled for April 8, 2008.
19 April 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
1 comment:
Off-topic but I just wanted to say that I love the music you have on your blog. I have kept this tab open while reading other blogs just so I could hear more!
Back on-topic thanks for sharing your story. I thought the doc was pediatric only as well, so it's good to know otherwise for future reference. We will be seeing him in July for a checkup.
Post a Comment