24 March 2008

Monday's Musings

People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy..." ~Bruce Wayne from Batman Begins

***Updated: please feel free to link up even if it's not Monday***

I think I should start by saying that apathy is a characteristic that I truly loathe. Isn't that a pleasant way to begin your Monday? LOL. I think the reason why I detest apathy is because I see the value of the individual and it pains me to see someone in a state of hopelessness. Now just picture me teaching high school students - I came in contact with 100's of students that didn't believe or foresee their potential. Just imagine how much of my energy went into changing this?!? Yes...for those who are concerned, I promise they also received an excellent education in the field of Biology.

Apathy (according to Wikpedia) is a state of indifference - where an individual has an absence of interest or concern to certain aspects of emotional, social or physical life. This is the "I don't care" attitude or the "It doesn't matter what I think so why should I bother".

Yuch. I cannot stand this! And yet, if someone asked me what do I believe I can do that would truly change the world, I don't know what I would say. Is there really something that I could point to that I know has made a crucial difference in history? I am just one person. In a world filled with millions of people - many that are smarter than me or are working in fields that seem far more impressive than mine - I can seem minute.

But it isn't about me. This is when I am reminded of Philippians 4:13 that says "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". I cannot even remember how many times my Mom would speak this over my life - especially during those tough lonely times. She would also remind me of the meaning of my name; both my first and middle names have to do with "victory".

It is because of Christ that I believe my actions matter. It is because of Him that I trust that even though I don't see the results with my own eyes, my life is making a difference - some how, some way.

So, who was my dramatic example(s)? I can name a few that touched me at certain points in my life, but the individuals that I am most indebted to - mainly because of their consistency - are my Mom and Dad. They always encouraged me and never allowed me to give up. Their words spoke life to me and I know they prayed for me. I am not sure they would define themselves as dramatic - but they are not writing this post...I am.

Next weeks quote comes from a gentleman who returned to Germany during World War II because he desired to keep the real church alive.

Time lost is time when we have not lived a full human life, time unenriched by experience, creative endeavor, enjoyment, and suffering. ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Who was a dramatic example in your life? Is this something you struggle with? How are you impacting the world today? Please link up and post your thoughts on this quote and by "you" I mean that I'd love to hear from Livin' Life, Promises, Classic Mama, Krazy Klingers, Sandy, oH mY wORD, Thrills, Holding It Together, Mirror Mirror, Hands-Free Heart...pretty much anyone from my local cafe's and beyond! :) Won't you join in the conversation???


5 comments:

Hands-Free Heart said...

I posted pretty late... a couple of hours ago, and then I forgot to link up and come back here! oops!

You are very blessed indeed to have your parents as such shining examples and great encouragers!

Kelli said...

I'm not sure why it keeps on linking to my organization post, but hey, you can check out today's. :)

Anonymous said...

Ok I never posted on this.....but you sure got me thinking about apathy! Actually maybe I never posted on it because I was to apathetic! LOL!

But I am thinking I would like to post on apathy at some point. Apathy is one of those things that makes me mad since I tend to be one to not give up, pursue making a difference in this life with a zeal......sometimes to a fault!
Anyway, thanks for waking up my brain and getting me thinking this week! :)

Trish said...

So you really want to make me think, huh? Alright, I have saved the quote in my ScribeFire and will work on it this weekend. Hopefully by Monday I'll have something worthwhile to say about it. :)

Beautiful Grace said...

I'm not sure how this linky this works, but I believe, I am to post my thoughts about your Bruce Wayne quote on my blog?

Anyway, that's what I'm going to do. :)

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...