Time lost is time when we have not lived a full human life, time unenriched by experience, creative endeavor, enjoyment, and suffering. ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer
I haven't included my thoughts on this quote...yet. But I wanted to get this posted so the rest of you can link up until I get back to this! I will include next weeks quote when I update later today.
Okay...it's later and here's my musing. It is more introspective than analytical but that is where I am at today.
Time...it doesn't stop...just keeps going no matter what we do. So how do I make sure that my time isn't lost? And what does it mean to have a full life? Interesting that today is when I am thinking about this. Today has been one filled with activity and yet, when I look at my list of what has yet to be accomplished I question if I used my time efficiently. I do this a lot.
So what takes up my time on a daily basis? Making meals. Washing dishes. Straightening the house. Cleaning parts of the house. Laundry. Bills. Schedules. MIA. Praying for family, friends, etc. (often while washing dishes or cleaning). Playing with Barber. Picking up Jeter at the bus stop. Checking Jeter's homework and providing snack. Reading to the boys. Getting dressed. Washing my face.
What do I try to also include regularly? Exercise. Putting on makeup. Reading for me (stop laughing). Remembering to eat right. Crocheting something. Food shopping. Errand preparation and running. Volunteering at Jeter's school.
What would I like to include here and there? Polish my nails. Work on re-doing Barber's room. Painting the guest room. Working outside in the yard. Scrapbooking. Getting together with some friends. Go out on a date - with Simms of course. Finish my projects!!!
So even though I feel like today went by too fast and I definitely did not accomplish all that I wanted to, was my time lost (according to this quote)? Technically I experienced the day with my boys; we completed a craft tonight so that should qualify as creative. Goodness, playing with Barber is always creative! There were both smiles and tears today (enjoyment and suffering). OK...I'm going to close this day saying yes - I lived today fully and my time was not lost. Tomorrow is a new day and even though my list of "here and there" seems to be growing exponentially, I know that I will be able to accomplish all of my "daily's" and hopefully a couple of my "regulars" as well.
On that note, a friend recently challenged me regarding my activity and passion/purpose in what I do. Her challenge has caused me to reevaluate how I perceive myself and the everyday (seemingly mundane) activities in my life. So...that is something I am working on.
And now for next week's quote (April 7th). The author is Matt Mooney. You can read more about him, his wife Ginny and their son Eliot on their blog. A video titled "99 balloons" was created as a tribute to Eliot's life. The video is below:
Christ is present when the weak are loved and served. ~Matt Mooney
5 comments:
This is a fascinating guy; I really enjoyed reading about him. Not sure how profound my insights are, though.
:) It's Monday and I mused.
Can I tell you that I followed 99 balloons, for quite awhile before and after Eliot passed away. The day he died, I put my head down on my desk and cried.
His parents are just amazing and deeply, deeply touched my heart.
BTW - my head is overflowing with thoughts these days. God is doing neat things. But I can't write about anything heavy (at least I couldn't last week and yesterday and today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring). So, sorry I haven't commented on your monday musings lately.
This was so sad. Thanks for sharing.
I am planning on posting this week. The computer is up and running and I think I got it now. Next mussing is hard because of the pain involved with the family. You are really drawing us out aren't you.:)
Post a Comment