28 February 2008

Calling the Critical Thinker Out in You

Can Mommy's have sick days?

I kind of took one today - sort of. But what does that look like? It means that laundry is put on hold (there's still dirty laundry added to the pile but a load is not being cleaned today). There are dirty dishes in the sink. The counters haven't been wiped down. No floors are being cleaned or doors wiped down. Toilets? Saving that for another day. I am not working on any special projects. Yes, Barber is being fed but is largely encouraged to play independently - although periodically I have "talked" for one of his characters albeit in a very gruff alto voice.

I was told by Simms this morning to "take it easy" and I took it to heart. I've allowed myself to watch a couple of decorating shows on HGTV and have added a few things to my ever-increasing to-do list...but these won't cost anything except time. I've snuggled with Barber and scratched his back. I even afforded myself time to do some reading. Here's where I'm probably going to lose some of you. I have many books on my to-read list (yup...totally a list gal) so which one did I choose. I was definitely leaning toward Rescued a fictional book with Biblical truths by John Bevere but my gut told me to pick up The Language of God by Francis Collins (thanks to Hot Sauce - Hands-Free Heart's Hubby for letting me borrow it!).

Why would this choice cause me to lose some of you? Hmmm...maybe because it isn't light reading by any one's definition. It deals with the relationship of science and faith; the author discusses his journey from agnosticism to atheism to faith in God without throwing away his love of science and the discoveries that have unfolded in the world of medicine/physics/genetics/etc. I've only read 84 pages (the first three chapters) but I am eating this up! The reading is challenging and stretching. This doesn't mean that I wholeheartedly embrace everything he is saying but I so appreciate and respect critical thinking.

This got me thinking...even if my 7-10 readers wouldn't necessarily join me in reading this book and then discussing it, would you consider venturing with me into using some of your analytical skills on various topics/levels? Leave me a comment regarding this and I'll unfold more later...

5 comments:

Promises said...

Sure, I'm game. I hope that you are feeling better soon. Mom and Dad told me that you were a little under the weather! :(

I am currently trying to get through my list too. I think that it is always so enjoyable to sit and read a book - very hard to find that time though!

Love you sis!

Kelli said...

:) Book? Bring it on. :)

The Gang's Momma! said...

I love a good discussion. I've been reading A LOT of non-fiction, related to many sides of the adoption issue. No matter what the subject, I find talking with others about what they are thinking is exciting and stimulating!!!

Emily said...

I'll try, but I am not usually an analytical person.

Livin' Life said...

I would love to hear more!!
I knew a doctor that was a friend to my family who once told me the more he practiced medicine the more he believed there must be a God. He said science truly points to an all Creator instead of natural selection.

I never knew what happened to him he died years ago and we never heard if he accepted Christ.

That would be great, when do we start?:)

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...