11 October 2007

Pizza - The Recipe

Here it is. The Campbell's recipe for Pizza.

The Dough - this is adapted from Classic Mama

1 cup warm water
2 tsp active dry yeast
pinch of sugar or 1/4 tsp honey (I use the sugar)
2-1/2 to 3 cups flour (I use 3 cups unbleached bread flour)
2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt (I've also substituted seasoned salt and added some other spices here)

1. Pour warm water in a small bowl. Sprinkle the yeast, sugar and 1 Tbs. flour over surface of the water. Stir until dissolved and let stand at room temperature until foamy. They say about 15 minutes. I leave it for 20-30.

2. With an electric mixer, combine salt and 1 cup flour. Pour in yeast mixture and stir on low to combine. Add olive oil. Beat for 2 minutes. Add remaining flour (1/2 cup at a time) until a dough that just clears the side of the bowl is formed.

3. Switch from paddle to dough hook and knead for 2-3 minutes until dough is springy and smooth. it should hold a finger imprint.

4. Place dough in a deep greased container. Turn once to coat the top and cover with plastic wrap. (I spray my hand with PAM before I even handle the dough). Let rise at room temperature until tripled in bulk. About 1-1/2 hours. I just set the timer for 1-1/2 hours.

5. On baking stone, spread some olive oil around. (This is my addition). Then shape the dough onto the stone. Add sauce (see a sample recipe below) and cheese and any other toppings. If you don't change the seasoning in the dough, you can sprinkle seasoning now before the toppings or you can add seasoning on the stone with the olive oil.

6. Bake on bottom rack at 400 for 10-15 minutes.

NOTE: this makes a thick crusted pizza.

The Sauce - this I got from Promises.

2 Tbs olive oil
1-1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 (28oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
2 (15oz) cans tomato sauce
3 Tbs tomato paste
2 cups water
1 tsp sugar

1. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Use a large pot.

2. Add onions, garlic, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Cook, stirring until soft. About 5 minutes.

3. Place tomatoes in mixing bowl and squeeze with spoon or hands into small pieces. (It's messy but my hands were far more efficient than a spoon).

4. Add tomatoes, sauce, paste, water and sugar to the pot and stir well. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer, stirring occasionally. About 45 minutes.

This will make a lot (about 10 cups). I froze it in a number of smaller containers.

One last note - the cheese. You can use as much or as little as you like. Our personal favorite is Polly-O mozzarella cheese.

Enjoy!

EC - I'm sure you and KC will do your own experimenting!!! On another note, I need some "real" names for you!

2 comments:

Promises said...

ok - I was looking for a new sauce recipe - maybe I just need to play with the spices a little bit more on this one - looking at it again, it looks yummy. I think that it was from Emeril's website, I cannot take credit for it.

The dough recipe is from The Bread Bible cookbook

Tarrah said...

thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it :)

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...