15 October 2007

Taking a Break from the Pile of Laundry

I recently received a book titled "Hugs, Daily Inspirations for Moms". So I read today's entry and wanted to post my thoughts.

When People Are Difficult

Stay away from a foolish man; you will gain no knowledge from his speech. ~Proverbs 14:7

Sometimes people can be discourteous and cruel. Sometimes people can be unfair, unkind, and unappreciative. Sometimes people get angry and frustrated. So what's a woman to do when she's confronted with difficult people? God's answer is straightforward: forgive, forget, and move on. In Luke 6:37 Jesus said, "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven" (HCSB).

Today and every day, Mom, do your best to be quick to forgive others for their shortcomings. And when other people misbehave (as they will from time to time), don't pay too much attention. Just forgive those people as quickly as you can and try to move on...as quickly as you can.

While I think there is some good stuff in here, I cannot help but dig a little deeper in my analysis. Do you notice how this isn't really easing any of life's burdens? Rather it is heaping more on my shoulders because it is telling me to do this to the best of my ability. Quite frankly, on my own it is easier to be offended, condemn and judge than to forgive. I am disappointed that this devotional hasn't directed the reader to the source that makes this possible...Jesus! It is only because of Him that I can forgive. On another note, it concerns me that they suggest to just move on. I am not saying this is the author's intent but it comes across to me as apathetic; suggesting that by disconnecting, life will be easier and simpler. I am not okay with this. Jesus did not disconnect. He didn't just move on. He got involved. He got his hands dirty. He cared and loved those that hurt him. I don't interpret that as moving on. So, how do I handle difficult people? I cry out to the Father. I lay it at the foot of the cross. I devour His Word. I ask Him to help me to forgive. And I take action when He tells me to. All the while my eyes are focused on Him.

I also want to share something that has helped me regarding these issues. He chooses to forgive. His nature is to convict rather than condemn. He is The Judge. So who am I to think that I have the right to hold onto unforgiveness and by what authority would I condemn or judge?

Finally, as if this wasn't enough, I want to share a song with you. It is Cornerstone by Day of Fire.



All of the ground is sinking sand
A doubting maze of desert land
Where darkness rules the heart of man
Til’ the sun shines light on him

Lord of all, Show you’re strong
All my needs they fall

Be a cornerstone
Be a cornerstone
Be a rock, higher than I
Be my fortress wall
Be a foundation for all, my cornerstone

The building’s swaying in the wind
The towers crumble down again
This certainly will be the end
Of them not built on him

You, You are the builder of my heart
You held me together from the start

1 comment:

Melissa said...

First of all, I love this song, it is on my MySpace page.

Secondly, the one thing that did stand out about that entry was to let the issue pass quickly. There is some wisdom in that the more we dwell on an offense the larger it seems to grow. I am terrible at mediating on my hurts and offenses so by the time I finally let it go I'm thinking to myself, "Wow, that really wasn't THAT big of a deal!"

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...