I have been reading in II Kings for awhile (just updated the sidebar though). It isn't the most exciting read - mainly because of the awful cycle they are on. There is a new king who typically continues to walk a sinful path and then dies only to have the cycle repeated with the new king (I'm up to chapter 15). There are wars and oppression against Israel. It's almost depressing. Even the kings that are noted for actions that are pleasing to God. They still fall short. Either they fall again into the sins of their fathers or they neglect to fully destroy the representations of idolatry throughout the land (shrines, calfs, etc.)
Chapter 13 documents a meeting between Jehoash, king of Israel, and Elisha. Elisha tells his to shoot an arrow. He does. Elisha declares that it represents the arrow of God's salvation meaning that Israel will be delivered from Aram (who was oppressing them at the time). Then Elisha tells Jehoash to pick up the rest of the arrows and strike the ground with them. So he does it 3 times. Elisha then sort of rebukes him asking why he only did it 3 times. Why not 5 or 6? He then states that Jehoash will defeat Aram only 3 times.
There are times when in battle, it's noted that God showed Israel mercy and didn't allow them to be wiped out because of His covenant with Abraham. Another time, a king prayed for God to give them relief and He did. The king didn't change his lifestyle of sin but for a moment, God responded to his heart cry.
Anyway, amidst my thoughts of judgement against these kings this question haunts me "How are we different?" Really. When God instructs me in something, do I give 100% or do I hold back? Is everything that is ungodly in my life destroyed and demolished or is it still standing, negatively influencing the next generation? When I hold back, why do I do that?!? He obviously blesses obedience - even small amounts. Imagine if I can walk in the fullness of what He desires for me? My mind is not fully wrapped around this but my heart is yearning for complete understanding. I am not perfect, nor am I expecting myself to be but I want to shoot every single arrow I have into the ground. I don't want to hold back...ever.
18 July 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
1 comment:
I'm reading Numbers...I am challenged as well. It gives me comfort to know that we ALL struggle to live a pleasing life unto the Lord. By struggle, I mean warring against the flesh. My prayer recently has been, "Lord, draw me to love you with such a passion that my flesh never wins out." It will be our love relationship with Jesus, with intense intimacy that causes our flesh to be crucified.
Instead, I will force out your enemies little by little and give your nation time to grow strong enough to take over the land. Exodus 23:30
Post a Comment