02 November 2006

Our Little Prayer Warriors

One of my favorite times of the day is actually bedtime with Barber and Jeter. We read books, pray and snuggle.

We have recently begun to challenge Jeter regarding his prayer time which typically is this: "Dear God, please bless my whole family and make me have no bad dreams. In Jesus' name. Amen" Mind you, there is nothing wrong with this prayer but when anything becomes rote, there is the danger of us forgetting the meaning of what we are saying. Simms has been talking to Jeter about talking to God about whatever is on his heart and over time we have seen - and heard - him become more free in his prayer time.

I have also begun to encourage Barber to pray.

So here is a snippet from tonight. Simms was at church for the music and creative arts ministry so I needed to get the boys to bed - or at least started by myself until Simms got home. We brushed teeth, changed into pj's, read books and now it was time to pray and snuggle (this was with Barber - I put him down first. Jeter is in the room with us b/c he doesn't feel like being by himself).

I prayed for Barber and the various things the Lord put on my heart.

Jeter: Dear God, thank you for my brother. Please help him to sleep well and keep him healthy because he is the only one in our family right now who is healthy...right now. Please finish healing mommy and start healing daddy and me? well, I am almost done with my cold...I am basically done so just make sure that I don't get anything else because that would not be fun. Just make us all better so that we can do all the things that we want to do and all the things that YOU want us to do. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Mommy: Barber, would you like to pray now?

Barber: Yesh.

Mommy: What would you like to pray for?

Barber: Uh...Daddy?

Mommy: Ok. Dear God...

Barber: Dare God

Mommy: Please bless Daddy...

Barber: Pease bess Daddy...an Mommy an Jeter an bess G (our dog)...and Mawje

Mommy: You mean Mima?

Barber: Yes...no...Mawje.

Jeter: Barber, she is now Mima. Did you know that we are going to go in a couple of weeks to Papa's house and see his wedding to Mima? That will be fun. I am going to like being the ring bearer. It is really easy. All I have to do is walk down the aisle holding a pillow with rings on it. I can do that. It might be a little embarrassing though.

Mommy: You will do fine Jeter. You will get to practice before the wedding.

Jeter: When? Tomorrow?

Mommy: No, the day before the wedding. That way you will know what to do.

Oh...yes...we were praying...

Mommy: Is there anything else you want to pray for Barber?

Barber: All done Mommy.

Mommy: ok.

Barber: Jesus name. Amen.

No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...