02 November 2010

Life is like...

How would you complete that sentence?

You might say "a box of chocolates" quoting Forrest Gump. He follows that up with the statement "you never know what you are going to get". I don't know about you but my favorite box of chocolates comes with a diagram that tells me exactly what is in that box. I personally favor the truffles and avoid the coconut.

For me, the best analogy right now is that it is like a football game and I am on the team of the underdogs. I'm sure this has everything to do with the fact that I watched Facing the Giants with my boys last night. If you have never seen this movie, I highly recommend it. There are just a lot of great nuggets that can apply to life...no matter what you are walking through.

Here are some of the most meaningful applications for me:

* There is a scene where the coach asks his player to do the 'death walk/crawl' (the player carries someone on their back and walks on all fours - only feet and hands touching the ground). He blindfolds the player and asks him to give him his best. The following isn't verbatim (I don't write that fast) so just know it's paraphrased...

Coach: Give me your best

Player: It hurts

Coach: Keep going. Don't quit.

Player: It burns. Am I there yet? It burns.

Coach: Give me your best. It's all heart from here.

Note...the player ends up going all the way to the end zone of the field!

*Miscellaneous Quotes that mean so much to me right now...

Your effort was real good tonight. You have nothing to be ashamed of...praise God when you win and praise Him when you lose.

Sounds like your fear is about to collide with your faith.

I will still love you.

Whatever happens You get the glory.

I believe as long as we honor God, nothing is impossible...now, who will go fight the Giants with me?

Remember today...you held nothing back, you did not stop fighting, you did not quit.

* At the end of the movie, the teams leader on the defense (he plays on the line) is exhausted. This is the State Championship game and they are in the final moments of the fourth quarter. The opposition has possession. The player tells his coach I'm done. Someone else has to lead. His coach counters I need you. Can you give me four more downs? The players response? He agrees to four more and calls to his line Stonewall. Exhausted, they rally together and prevent the opposition from crossing into the end zone. Frustrated, the opposing team chooses to go for it on fourth down rather than taking the field goal. The defense holds the line and they regain control of the ball.

Sometimes I feel like it's the fourth quarter and I'm done. I'm exhausted and feel like I've done everything I can. It hurts. It burns. Physically...spiritually...emotionally. And then somehow I'm stirred to keep going...as if I'm being asked if I can give four more downs. Just four more. Thankfully, I know I'm not really in the thick of things alone. My family is here and we're all walking through this together. There are also many friends and loved ones and many others who are praying - with us and for us. Essentially WE are all linking arms together and standing to form the Stone Wall.

Thank you.

Now we need to prepare for rain.

If you don't know what that last statement means, you just really got to watch this movie. It is that good.

No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...