23 October 2009

The Taste of Fall

One of the things I enjoy about Fall are apples. Sweet. Crunchy. Yum. Fuji are my favorite and I just bought about 80 apples this past Friday. My two bottom crispers are full and I have about 30 that will be peeled and prepared - many destined to become the main ingredient of my most favorite apple crisp ever (recipe below). I will make a number of goodies that we will freeze and enjoy over the next year.

Believe it or not, I will also make another trip to the farm and buy at least another 40 apples before the end of the season - then my crispers will be jam packed with apple goodness. These apples stay fresh in our refrigerator and my family will continue to enjoy them through February or March of next year. And then we have to wait again until the following October...

Apple Crisp

Bottom Layer:
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbs flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
6 cups apples

Top Layer:
1 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup butter melted

Mix bottom layer ingredients together. Place on a greased pan.

Mix top layer ingredients until crumbly and spoon over apples. Pat firmly.

Bake 350 for 25 minutes or until lightly brown.

I use the excuse that I don't own a 1/3 tsp to triple the recipe. :) This also helps when I have about 30 apples to prepare into some apple goodness.

1 comment:

Trish said...

This sounds awesome - and I love the part about tripling the recipe!

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...