29 January 2009

He Gets It!

Barber has sometimes asked why God made him to be younger than Jeter. You see, he wants to be as big as his big brother. He wants to run as fast as Jeter and jump as high and...you get the point. I've reminded him that he is perfect just the way he is and that God has a special plan and purpose for his life that is just for him - what he was created for. Afterwards, I pray silently that my words would penetrate his heart and mind and become more than just words for him. That he would become content with who he is and not yearn to be someone else. I know it is natural for him to look up to his big brother but I desire for him to never be hindered in any way by that admiration.

Tonight during snuggle time, Barber was snuggling with me and two of his animals - Spot (a very worn dog) and Waddle (a penguin he just got for Christmas). He says that all of his animals are his sons and...well here was our conversation and his subsequent conversation with Spot and Waddle. All animal voices are performed by Barber.

Barber: Mommy I love all of my animals so much.

Me: I know you do.

Barber: You are their Grandma you know? No, wait you are their Grammie because you are younger. (my Mom is called Grammie and they called their Great-Grandma "Grandma")

Me: That's fine. I can be Grammie.

We then got into a discussion of how Grandma is now with Jesus and he told me how Grandpa (Great-Grandpa) will be going to see Jesus really soon. I told him that Grandpa is doing well but agreed that he will probably see Jesus before we do. We then talked about how our eyes haven't been opened to see angels right now but that we will at some point. And then finally we got to this...

Barber kisses Spot and Waddle and tells him that he loves them. Then he begins swinging spot around by the ear (apparently an act of endearment).

Waddle: Can you spin me around like that?

Barber: No I can't.

Waddle: Why not?

Barber: Because you don't have ears like Spot.

Waddle: I wish I had ears like Spot.

Barber: It's okay Waddle because you are perfect just the way you are.

Waddle: Thank you!

Barber then gave them both hugs and kisses while I smiled and silently thanked God for sealing His truth about Barber into his heart.

2 comments:

Beautiful Grace said...

This is what being a mom is all about...snuggling, loving, teaching, yeah, it's a woman's greatest call.

Promises said...

This was great - I love it!

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...