09 December 2008

Remembering...

It has become a tradition in our corner to break out the Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving and spend the weekend as a family decorating, drinking hot cocoa, eating homemade chex mix, etc.

That didn't happen this year.

We had plans to spend Thanksgiving in NJ, so I thought we would move our tradition to the weekend before Thanksgiving.

That didn't quite happen either.

We were successful in decorating our tree (obviously an artificial one) the weekend before, but have been slowly adding more decorations since then. Little by little. Day by day. (Promises...are you singing the song?)

I've recently stated to a friend that my list is having tasks added to it faster than I am able to complete them. It is almost overwhelming to the point where I want to throw my hands up and cry that I just don't even know where to begin. So, what do you do when you get to this point (if you ever do). The only thing that works for me is this: I ask Jesus what I need to do now and trust Him to show me and then I do it and try not to become overly concerned about what isn't getting completed. I have also determined to take joy is something each and every day.

Today I set up and decorated one of our trees. We set this one up in our dining room (which still needs to be cleaned out and prepared for our family Christmas). The tree is decorated with small, ornamental picture frames. The pictures are snapshots of every Christmas since Simms and I dated. Today I took my time hanging each frame and remembered.

2008 has not been an easy year but He has continued to faithfully walk with us through each and every step, in each and every twist and turn. He always has. Today, I needed to remember that and tell Him thank you.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is an awesome idea for a tree. Digital camera yet? I'd LOVE to see a picture of your Picture Tree. :)

Tiffany said...

How do I change it so that it logs me on as Tiffany? I need an IT guy.

The Gang's Momma! said...

I love the idea of the photos also - what a great tradition.

I too have been feeling so overwhelmed by the crush, the press, the hustle bustle of the countdown of days. This is the first year EVER that I haven't even started shopping yet. It's a total faith-walk for us, in many, many ways this year.

I've been praying over myself that the pressure I put on me to create the "perfect holiday experience" for all the kids be lifted. But then I remember that this is Li'l Empress's first real Christmas and the panic sets in again. Ugh.

Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

Promises said...

Little by little in every way...yes, I am singing along!

I think that it is great that you have set up some of your Christmas decorations...me...nothing yet!!!

I am hoping that we will get to it this weekend - if not before!

Um - don't "worry" that you don't have a digital camera...you will get one when you have saved up for it...no pressure to get one before then!

Love you!

Eli's Lids said...

Found your blog while clicking around.
We usually do the decorations right after Thanksgiving too... didn't happen this year either... but it did happen and that is all that counts!
http://elislids.blogspot.com/

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...