I Want to do What My Father's Doing by Sarah Pickering
I want to do what my Father's doing
I want to see with my Father's eyes
I want to walk in my Father's footsteps
To follow Him for all my life
I want to say what my Father's saying
I want to hear when He calls my name
I want my hands to be like His hands
Touch the world with love again
I have been chosen for this purpose
To do my part in His great plan
And I will be the best that I can be
As my Father makes me more like Him
Do you know this song? You might not. It's from a children's worship CD Great Big God 2. We've been singing a lot of these songs in Worship Express. Oftentimes, too many people write off children's worship as cute and fun but don't realize the impact that this has on the lives of the next generation.
So why am I singing this song a lot? Well for one thing I've been thinking a lot about wanting to do exactly what God is doing, seeking Him about the next step and waiting, with expectation, to hear His voice.
What brought this on? Barber.
Two weeks ago Barber requested to go to the main sanctuary with us rather then his 4-year-old classroom. Honestly, there was plenty of internal wrestling going on inside of me - trying to analyze or figure it out and asking the Lord how to respond to his request. Should we force him to go to his class like all the other children - and like he has been doing his whole life, or allow him to come to church with us? I realized his request was not rebellious or negative in nature and so we allowed him to join us. We told him that he was expected to participate during worship and sit and listen while our pastor spoke. He didn't even bat an eye when he responded with a simple "okay".
He joined us.
He didn't sing all the songs but he was engaged during the entire worship service.
He listened to the Pastor, asking questions of clarification like "what did he mean when he said..."
After we picked up Jeter, Barber told him what he learned in church that day. He summarized it this way: "We need to close the door to sin and forgive everybody."
Later that evening, I overheard Barber singing a song: "Rain down. All around the world we're singing. Rain down." That was one of the songs we sang that morning.
My eyes filled with tears. I don't know why this is where we are at but I know that this is what God has for Barber right now. Rationally, it doesn't make sense to me. But this is not about me - it's about our son who somehow knows that this is what His Father wants him to be doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment