18 August 2008

Brother Time

Brother Time. Not really something I've experienced very often in my life. I've had a sister since I was 3-1/2 and was quite content. Sometimes I wondered what it would be like to have a brother but didn't really mourn the lack of one.

Now I have two. My sister's beloved Dawson who is near and dear to my heart and Simms' brother Rayda. Although I have known Rayda since I was 19 (18 years for those of you who are counting) I really haven't gotten to know him until the last couple of years. This is for a variety of reasons that really have no bearing on what I am writing now. Point is we have gotten rather close from a very far distance in the last year+ and he is truly one of my brother-in-loves.

Guess what?

I got to spend 3 days with this brother-in-love last week!!! I mean it wasn't just me and him. Nope. He experienced the day-to-day family life of us Campbell's - full strength. Ha! The boys had VBS two of the three mornings (which was great for Rayda because he was able to sleep in and adjust easier to the time change) and soccer practice started this past week which capitalized our evenings. We still tried to do some fun relaxing stuff - pool time, picking pears at Promises house, watching the Olympics together and simply chatting about life. Our conversations didn't get too deep. That's not easy to do when there is a 4 and 7 year old around much of the time. Prayerfully our time together was quality regardless of the schedule. I know I will treasure the memory of it. Unfortunately Simms wasn't able to take time off during the week but they had some brother time scheduled for this weekend which was good.

Regarding Rayda, I'm not going to get too deep here either but I won't pretend everything is honky-dory. Rayda still has some health concerns. The doctor called and told him that they spotted pneumonia on the last cat scan and scheduled him to return to the hospital this coming Tuesday (tomorrow). He returns to Seattle tonight. He is scheduled to stay overnight until Wednesday and should be discharged then if all goes well. I don't like the vagueness of "if all goes well". He is concerned and frustrated, fighting fear, and emotionally spent. No words make that better. The best thing I could offer throughout his visit was a listening ear and a hug - but not too tight because there is still an open wound from the first procedure completed in April. I can see that he is choosing daily to trust God but it is difficult when so much around him and in his life seems to be crumbling. He didn't see me cry but I'm telling you there are times when I can't help but weep - determined to believe and trust God with Rayda's life (health, job, relationships, etc.) while becoming almost violently angry with the enemy. And this isn't even the half of it. I told you I wasn't going to get too deep. Imagine if I did? Please, if you think of Rayda, pray for him.

On the lighter side, here are some of my favorite quotes from this visit:

  • "Uncle Rayda always knows the coolest things."
  • "Uncle Rayda, your silliness makes me laugh but it is now starting to annoy me."
  • "Is Uncle Rayda here still? Cool! I think he should live with us forever."

Just this morning...

Barber: Uncle Rayda, can you come to my soccer practice tonight?

Rayda: No because I'm going home today.

Barber: I know that. I mean after you go home then you can come back to go to my soccer practice tonight?!?

I think I need to break out the globe today and show Barber the difference between Seattle and Central Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...