14 May 2008

The Incredible Edible...Heart?!?

What's the weirdest thing you ever ate? Did you think it was weird when you ate it or did it seem normal to you?

I've recently been reminded or something that Promises and I considered a treat - we sometimes would even argue over it. What is this precious delicacy you ask...the heart of a chicken. Yup. You read that correctly. There is no mistake.

We've been reading the Little House series of books with Jeter and the writing includes how the families would prepare their food for every season. Jeter turned up his nose at some of the things they ate and then asked me if I ever ate anything like tongue. Thankfully I said "no" to that but then told him that his Poppy ate cow tongue when he was younger. "Yuck!" was Jeter's response. I then confessed about the chicken heart.

It was inexpensive for my mom to purchase a whole chicken and then split it herself. Dad would then take the heart and liver and saute' them in the frying pan. Afterwards he would add a little salt and whooalla appetizers. We (Promises and I) had to share the heart but we each could have our own piece of liver. Excepting the one time that I remember that there were two hearts...bonus!

Jeter's next question was how it tasted and would I eat it again. The liver was a bit gritty (and after the multiple dissections I have completed on other animals I can see why). Not the most edible looking consistency. The heart was actually pretty good if my memory serves me well - it had a smoother consistency. As to the second part of that question, I'm not going out of my way to add these to our dietary regimen however if I had to, I could do it - as long as it was sauteed and salted. LOL. I am also secretly considering making this for Jeter to try. I don't really think it will happen though - Simms isn't game.

So...what is the strangest thing you've eaten? I'd love to hear about it - and Jeter would too!

10 comments:

The Gang's Momma! said...

Those are about the strangest things I've ever tried also. But stranger yet: when I was pregnant with Dr. D and LadyBug back in my little kitchen on Trindle, I used to buy whole containers of chicken livers and saute them in garlic and butter and eat them over toast. I wouldn't classify them as cravings, I only wanted them a couple times during each pregancy. But it was a very intentional purchase - especially strange cuz the rest of the pregnancies, I really didn't like messing with raw meats. Big aversion to that!

Natalie said...

We used to eat cow tongue. My mom would try and tell us it was something else, but the consistency of the tongue always gave it away. I don't think it was horrible, but I'm definitely not searching it out to eat now.

I use to think calamari (octopus) was pretty gross...until I tried it. Now I LOVE calamari.

Emily said...

I love chicken livers and heart (I prefer livers over heart though)!!! My dad, sister and I still share the turkey ones at Thanksgiving. My grandmother would cut them up and put them in the gravy - ymmmm.

Kelli said...

I never eat strange things. I am a very plain/picky eater. However, Not-So-Classic ate a bunch of stange things. His dad used to raise rabbit for eatin' and I think they had a squirrel or two. He usually requests teh heart and liver from inside fowl so he can sautee it up.

Hands-Free Heart said...

When I was in high school an Australian restaurant opened nearby, and a friend and I went there and ordered some type of crocodile appetizer. I have eaten rabbit more than once, as HotSauce's uncle is just retiring this year from his bunny farm.

My mom grew up in Africa and I she has eaten all sorts of stuff. I believe among them are ants, grasshoppers and chicken brains (and hearts, livers, etc.)

Promises said...

okay - reading that we used to eat the heart and liver really turned my stomach - and I am not pregnant!

That is not the weirdest thing that I ate, I think that I might take the cake (so far) because I ate cow's intestines when I was in Guadeloupe on a cross cultural trip during the college days. My host family was serving it and they told me that the father made it and it is a creole delicasy - and it is a "big deal" that the father made the dinner. It actually took a little while for them to translate what it was in English (French is their 1st language).

I silently prayed that I would not throw up while I was eating or afterwards. It was very bland to me and it looked like little cut up tubes - there was other stuff that was added to the dish - it just looked like slop to me!

Would I eat it again - no way, unless someone was going to pay me! They actually asked me if I wanted more and I said that I was full (as my stomach turned!) :)

Tiffany said...

Eeeew...gross!! But, I guess I cannot judge. You don't feel that raw fish wrapped in rice should be consumed in one oh-so-yummy bite. :) Hearts and livers remind me of this show that Jason watches on the Travel Channel called "Bizzare Foods". This chef travels around the world eating food from different cultures and some of the stuff is just plain wrong. Blood pudding...chicken fetus...animal testicles. Jason is SO determined to cook and eat a guniea pig after one of the episodes. He's eaten kangaroo, ostrich, lamb... I'll stick with sushi.

Say Anything said...

I want to throw up reading all of your comments!!! We used to eat bacon-fat sandwiches when we were kids. After my mom would fry up bacon, we would take bread and soak up the fat, and eat it. We tried it a few years ago for giggles. I'll say we didn't love it - but what we did love was that our lips were so moist from the fat I didn't need chapstick for a few days!!!

Melissa said...

I agree with Say Anything....I could throw up just reading about this stuff! I think the strangest things I've eaten and liked were calamari and conch. Conch is like a snail and I could eat it in just about any form, my favorites being conch salad, conch fritters and conch chowder. I have also had escargot and snapper (turtle) soup, but both were too chewy for my tastes!

Hands-Free Heart said...

I followed the link about Cicadas from Like I Was Saying, and found a link to Stephanie Bailey's Internet Insect Cookbook.

There are educational activities and discussion topics. Scroll down to Discussion #3 on this page to assess how many bugs you've eaten today.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...