Barber got a haircut. Not an uncommon occurrance in the lives of many but it was a big deal at our corner. He has beautiful blonde hair - thick and wavy. It was longish - kind of a skater look. I loved it. Simms...not so much. He has issues when his sons' hair creeps below their ears. For the last 2-3 weeks Simms would ask Barber if he was ready for his haircut (I cut their hair). He always said "No. I don't need haircut." I have to be honest...I was glad he said no because he just looked so stinkin' cute!
Then last week he began asking me to cut his hair. Finally he asked me to get the "big bib" (the cape to keep the cut hair off of him). He said he wanted me to cut his hair because he was no longer afraid. I cut his hair on Friday night (Simms' and Jeter's too). How could I not? My son was proclaiming victory over fear.
As I used the clippers, scissors and comb, tears threatened to fill my eyes. It could have partially been because I was going to miss those wavy, free-flowing locks but I believe it was largely due to the fact that my little boy was taking a big step spiritually. I remembered seeing him play with his 5 smooth stones from this summer's preschool VBS on Friday. Wow. God is amazing. I am in awe of His love for us and how much He desires for us to live victoriously.
No matter how bittersweet the moment was I couldn't help but smile when he cheered "Haircut!" as Simms took his picture. Afterwards he ran into the bathroom exclaiming "I need to look in the mirror!" and then came running out "Mommy! It's so cute!" I choose to rejoice over the manifestation of the breaking off of fear. It will not be a stronghold in Barber's life.
This also encourages me as I pray regarding the recent bout of temper tantrums and rebellious attitude. 3 is a tough age but I am a firm believer that a strong foundation is being established now. I don't always like the mommy I am but I know I am the mommy that Barber needs me to be.
23 October 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
4 comments:
"I don't always like the mommy I am but I know I am the mommy that Barber needs me to be."
Amen, Sister
I know your little guys are younger than my girls but I can't help but notice you are raising boys that are going to be mighty men of God and therefore wonderful husbands!
Let's be sure to stay in touch for the next 20 years, okay?
I don't care if I am biased. You are the greatest mommy in the world and I couldn't be a parent without you by my side!
Awwww...Look at what Simms wrote....
Can't wait to see his new "big boy" hair.
Post a Comment