01 August 2007

I've Been Caught

Last night I was putting both boys to bed again. When this happens, they both get ready for bed at the same time (brush teeth, pj.s, etc.). Then Barber is the first one that I read to - then pray, sing and snuggle. Afterwards I go to Jeter's room and complete the same routine.

We had a late start so I wasn't thrilled when Barber chose a book that isn't what you would call short. I began to read and he started asking a bazillion questions with every turn of the page. So, as any good mother would do, I answered his questions and then when I started to read again I skipped a few nonessential sentences. Barber isn't going to notice and the bulk of the story is still there. No harm done. Except that my 6 year old has good ears and an excellent memory.

I was 3/4's of the way through the book when I heard a voice at Barber's doorway inquiring "Mom, why aren't you reading the whole story?"

CAUGHT!!!

I couldn't help but giggle and told him to "shhhh". Barber was so busy asking questions that the entire exchange escaped his radar. Whew. Then Jeter climbed onto Barber's bed to police the situation until the book was completed.

2 comments:

Promises said...

That is so funny - not surprising though with Jeter's memory, and now he can read!!!

Tarrah said...

Too funny, I try to do the same thing w/ my 3 yo but she has too good of a memory and catches me every time. She tell's me what I missed.

And I really don't know why they have to ask so many questions! If they would just listen to the story they would understand :) It drives me crazy most of the time, but then I try to be thankful because it's going to do her a ton of good when she's older :)

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...