
Simms grew up spending the summers at 'The Lake'. His family rented a one-room cabin from New York State and lived there each summer. There were 10 cabins in their camp. When he was really young they didn't have electricity, toilets or a shower! By the time I met Simms and visited, there was electricity and a functioning shower for camp members to share but we still had to take care of business at the 'latrine'. However, despite the pioneer-like amenities, you couldn't help but be captivated by the beauty of His creation.
Nana (Simms' Mom) loved the lake. It truly was a second home to her. Opening weekend was Memorial Day. She would work on getting the cabin ready for the summer while the boys worked with Papa (Simms' Dad) and other camp families to clear the paths, get the canoes out, clean the crib and dock, get the patio ready, etc. When school was done in June, their family moved to the lake for the summer. Labor Day weekend marked the end of the season.
Nana loved nature. Trees. Animals. Flowers. Needless to say, the lake was a place of peace and tranquility for her. She would watch the hummingbirds while reading a book on the front porch. Listen to the frogs while playing cards late at night. Maybe see deer when walking to the latrine early in the morning. She would let us know when she saw evidence of the beaver. She didn't mind (terribly) when a family of flying squirrels took over one of her bird houses. And when a young bear decided to pay the camp a visit, she often wondered if it would come back again so we could see it too! (No thank you!) Wild huckleberries would be picked and then added to pancakes and pies. YUM!
One of her favorite moments at the lake was in the spring when the mountain laurel bloomed. The camp was surrounded by white! After her death, Simms transplanted two mountain laurels from the lake to our PA home. Papa wasn't sure they would survive. They have. Every spring when they bloom, a smile crosses my face and I think of Nana.
5 comments:
This story is priceless. It brought tears to my eyes. We are in an area that we get to enjoy the Mountain Laurel. The picture you blogged is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing such sweet memories!
My first visit to your blog, and I really enjoyed it! I see you had the services of Susie of Bluebird Blogs. She gave my blog a re-design recently too. She's awesome (and I'm not even getting paid to say that!) :)
Thank you for sharing that story with us. She was a very special lady and I am so glad that you have little things around that remind you and your family of her, and bring a smile to your face.
my aunt has peonies that are from my great-grandmother's garden. probably over 50 years old, but she has taken and transplanted them wherever she has moved...which has been a lot since they use to be a military family. i love stuff like that!!
Every once in awhile I jum in hear to see what is happening with my brother's family back east. This time of year is always hard for me as I am 3000 miles away from a plce and time that meant so much to me and my brother. I will always have a vision of my mom sitting on the Chaise on our screen porch as I was walking up the path from the beach. It is the same way I expect it to be when I see her again.
Post a Comment