"Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades. The woman to be admired and praised is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God." Proverbs 31:30 The Message
Warning...this is long. I have been reading John Bevere's book, Driven by Eternity (click on sidebar if interested). It is definitely going to need a second read. I am not even going to pretend to sum up the book right now. There are so many nuggets and meals of TRUTH in it. However, there is one theme that has been continually surfacing - not just in this book but also in what I have been reading in God's Word.
To live life knowing God as both our Loving Father and Judge.
OK...now this is totally not a 'spiritual' analogy but humor me if you will. Baking. Now you may or may not know but I love to bake. I am very good with cookies, brownies, and even cakes (but that is really in the decorating). I am still learning with other, more delicate recipes. Just because the ingredients are in there doesn't mean the product will be what you're expecting. There are a number of variables that play an important role in that product - the correct proportion of ingredients, the freshness of the ingredients, timing, temperature, etc.
How does this relate? There are a lot of variables that can influence my life. These are typically referred to as circumstances. However, different from baking, if my heart is in the 'right place' then I have a greater chance of fulfilling His call for me. This doesn't mean everything will be 'easy'. Definitely not according to the world's standards. BUT considering the alternative (judgement of disobedience) it is ultimately the far easier path to walk.
Consider David. He is anointed to be King of Israel but doesn't actually take that position for more than a decade, often fleeing and fearing for his life. And then, he is only King over Judah for 7-1/2 years before he is finally able to rule over all of Israel. Granted he makes mistakes - the affair and murder - but his heart is continually referred to as pleasing to God. Why? I think an example is when Samuel calls him to the mat he immediately repents. He knew the love and judgement of God. (You can read about this in I and II Samuel)
Now look at Solomon. He is credited for building the Temple of God. He is famous for the wisdom that God blessed him with. He definitely knew and experienced the Love of God. However, I would contend that he did not fully comprehend or respect the judgement of God. I am not a scholar of the scripture but here are some observations that I have made:
1. Solomon considered himself to be pretty important - maybe too important. Did you know that he took 7 years to finish the Temple of God. Nothing was spared. There were fine jewels and metals used. Gold was used all over. Designs were carved and engraved. It sounds fabulous. Information regarding the building of the temple is found in I Kings 5-6. Then I read chapter 7. It is about the process through which Solomon built his own palace. Now, I know he is king and that is important but he still isn't THE KING. It seemed that he applied the same lavish details if not more on the building of his palace. It took him 13 years to build his palace. And the palace is larger than the temple. Now, we know that God is not limited in who He is by any building, but I believe this is telling of Solomon's heart. I also couldn't help myself in noticing the number of years...7 (spiritual perfection) to build the Temple of God and 13 (rebellion) to build his own palace.
2. Solomon did not have the fear of God in his heart. Even with all his earthly wisdom, he seemed to lack a true understanding of God as Judge. I am sure that he heard stories of what happened to those who sinned against God and when he dedicated the Temple in I Kings 8, he prayed with seeming understanding but his actions do not demonstrate a heart that yearns after the heart of God. He takes many wives from foreign cultures (I don't believe that God was against other people groups but rather warned against an integration of an unholy belief system) and begins to erect shrines to their gods!!! This is after God speaks to him and warns him in chapter 9 of I Kings!!! He in no uncertain terms tells Solomon that if he obeys God as his father David did then God's blessing will be upon him. However, God warns him that if he should disobey and worship other gods then Israel will be cut off. Read below.
I Kings 9:4-9 The Message
As for you, if you live in my presence as your father David lived, pure in heart and action, living the life I've set out for you, attentively obedient to my guidance and judgments, then I'll back your kingly rule over Israel, make it a sure thing on a solid foundation. The same guarantee I gave David your father I'm giving you: 'You can count on always having a descendant on Israel's throne.' "But if you or your sons betray me, ignoring my guidance and judgments, taking up with alien gods by serving and worshiping them, then the guarantee is off: I'll wipe Israel right off the map and repudiate this Temple I've just sanctified to honor my Name. And Israel will become nothing but a bad joke among the peoples of the world. And this Temple, splendid as it now is, will become an object of contempt; visitors will shake their heads, saying, 'Whatever happened here? What's the story behind these ruins?' Then they'll be told, 'The people who used to live here betrayed their GOD, the very God who rescued their ancestors from Egypt; they took up with alien gods, worshiping and serving them. That's what's behind this GOD-visited devastation.'"
Hello?!?!?!? I think this is pretty clear. But Solomon is unfaithful and betrays God. And even when he is confronted with his sin - by God. He (God) talks to Solomon directly. Solomon still doesn't repent.
I Kings 11:11-13 The Message
GOD said to Solomon, "Since this is the way it is with you, that you have no intention of keeping faith with me and doing what I have commanded, I'm going to rip the kingdom from you and hand it over to someone else. But out of respect for your father David I won't do it in your lifetime. It's your son who will pay--I'll rip it right out of his grasp. Even then I won't take it all; I'll leave him one tribe in honor of my servant David and out of respect for my chosen city Jerusalem."
I cannot help but self-examine my heart. What are the motives behind what I do? Why have I made various decisions? How do my words and actions impact my life...eternally? Am I functioning daily with a balanced knowledge of God's love and judgement? I desperately want to have a pure heart before God. I desire for God to be pleased with me as He was with David. I want to guard my heart against the temptations that caused Solomon to sin. I want my faith to result in action that glorifies the ONE my heart loves and fears. I want to be the woman that lives in the 'fear of God' (Proverbs 31:30).
So...this is what has been mulling in my head for a while. There's more but this is it for now. I will eventually post about the fun field trip I had with Jeter's class yesterday but this was much more pressing today.
22 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Campbell Crew
The Campbell Corner was started in 2006. I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...
-
I decided to participate in the Fall Giveaway Madness . My dilemma was that I do not have a digital camera and therefore couldn't post a...
-
There are already over 250 people participating and I'm certain that number will dramatically increase - probably even before I get thi...
-
Is it possible to combine my Monday's Musing with the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival ?!? I have to at least try...so here goes everything... I...
No comments:
Post a Comment