22 March 2007

Brady

I still remember the night when I was told I would be an Aunt. Lil' sis and Dawson came over under the pretense to have a game night together. We were considering going on vacation that year (2005) in December as a family. Shortly after they arrived they told us that the vacation wouldn't work because they were going to be adding someone to their family - or something to that effect. I honestly don't remember the exact words. It took a mere moment for me to process what they were saying and then I started jumping up and down and yelling (?) gleefully that I was going to be an Aunt and how happy I was for them! Hooray!!! They laughed at/with me and told me to be careful...I had a drink in my hand and it was either spilling or about to spill. Obviously that fact escapes me because the only thing my brain was processing was "I am going to be an Aunt! I am going to be an Aunt!"

My precious nephew, Brady, joined the family January 2, 2006. What a wonderful day that was. Lil' sis went into the hospital on the first and Mom and I couldn't resist but to go up for a visit that evening with subway sandwiches - totally prepared to sit in the waiting room. Dawson smirked at our silliness but that's just part of who we are and I know they were both happy to have us there while things were a little "slow". We ended up saying goodnight and received the wonderful news about Brady sometime the next morning. Lil' sis didn't get much sleep so we didn't get to visit until later in the afternoon. It wasn't easy to wait but we knew that the new mommy needed us to and that made it a-ok. Jeter immediately adored his new cousin...Barber would look at him and thought he was interesting. All of our hearts overflowed with love for him.

Now he is 14 months old. Even though I have gone through this twice (Jeter and Barber), it still amazes me how many changes occur in one year. He is now walking and communicating with hand signals and sounds. He is such a happy one year old - very quick to smile - and is a joy to spend time with. And even though he is only one...he has already learned how to melt his Aunt's heart.

Recently we had Brady over for the day. It was a pretty ordinary day. Naps, meals, diaper changes, playtime and then...without notice he came over to me and snuggled. He put his head against me and "hugged" me and gave me love pats. I melted. And then he was off...to his next adventure with Barber and Jeter. Later when lil' sis and Dawson returned he actually came walking into the kitchen right past his mommy and stood at my feet with arms raised. Yup. Puddle. Right there. And he is only one!

Melting my heart...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It melts my heart reading this entry! I remember when my 2 little nephews came over to me (and still do!) and gave me hugs. It is something that I was SOOOO looking forward to. It blesses me that our families are so close - and that you are a second mom to lil' JB.

Anonymous said...

He sounds very sweet. Cousins are so fun!

This Journey of Mine said...

So wonderful! So wonderful! I just love how close you and your sister are. And now, your nephew too.

What a gift from God!

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...