29 January 2007

Sharing Some Recipes

Freezing meals can be very simple and helpful. However, I believe you first need to assess your situation (wants/needs/abilities). It would be nuts to prepare a vast number of meals and then not have space in the freezer for storage. First, take stock of both your needs and resources. Secondly, decide how you plan to store your meals...freezer bags, freezable containers (Tupperware, Ziploc or Glad) and/or aluminum pans (these are nice for easy clean-up but I know that many are wary of cooking in aluminum...yes I am talking about you, Mom). Finally, be aware of what foods freeze well. Important note: fresh meat can be frozen after prep, however if meat is already frozen, it must be cooked after it is thawed. You can then refreeze it without any problems.

My disclaimer is that I am NOT an expert on this. I have only done this 4 times. NOTE: If you want information from the "experts" check out this site or this site for lots of tips, getting started information and recipes. This site offers basic info about getting organized for this type of project and this site offers recipes and information for a month of slow cooking. I didn't access these sites when I got started (yes, I found them specifically for this post) but I do plan on perusing and using some of their recipes in the future!

BUT a commenter requested that I post some of my recipes, which I am happy to do. I don't feel comfortable in posting the ones I have recently used because they are experimental - meaning I have never made them before!!! I do promise that as we try them, I will add those recipes to future posts.

Until then, here are some winners:

Creamy Chicken Breasts (I think everyone has some form of this recipe)
Skinless boneless chicken breasts (4-6)
Swiss Cheese, sliced
Cream of Mushroom Soup - one can
1/4 cup White Wine
1 Cup Pepperidge Farm Stuffing Mix (I use the herb seasoned)
1/4 cup margarine or butter

Spray bottom of pan with Pam cooking spray
Arrange chicken in pan
Cover chicken with slices of cheese
Mix soup and wine in a bowl and pour over chicken
Sprinkle stuffing on top
Melt butter and drizzle over stuffing
Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes

NOW - for purpose of freezing...after you sprinkle with stuffing mix, cover with Saran Wrap and then Aluminum foil. Label and freeze. The day you plan to have this, drizzle the butter on top and then bake it. For this meal, you will need to use either an aluminum pan or one of your own that you are willing to do without.

Seasoned Chicken
Chicken on the bone (about 2 pounds) - could be legs/thighs/breasts
Sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper and paprika - both sides
Drizzle melted butter (a few Tbs.)
Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, turn chicken over and bake another 20-30 minutes or until done.

NOW - for purpose of freezing, season the chicken and then package it for freezing

Seasoned Burgers
Ground Meat - as much as you want
Seasonings - whatever you want. This round I used Adobo (made by Goya), minced onion and Worcestershire sauce. YUM.

Season the meat and then make into burgers. Freeze. I use Tupperware containers but an easy way to freeze them is in bags with wax paper in between the layers of burgers.

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...