26 September 2006

It's The Little Things

I didn't become a mom until I was 30. Why? I know it was God's timing - part of His plan and purpose for my life. I also know that for a long time I was not ready. I have never been one of those women that see a baby and just has to hold it. Nope. Completely satisfied with simply looking/observing - even from afar. I become more comfortable with interacting when there is some sort of coherent communication possible between me and the child. (Maybe this is why I loved teaching high school students?!?) I still believe it is only because of Him that I don't just like being "mommy" but I actually enjoy it. When I was younger I didn't think I ever wanted kids - part of it was definitely selfishness and then there was this part of me that asked why I would purposefully make someone live in a world/society such as this?!? Then along came Simms and I thought hmmm a family s-o-m-e-d-a-y might be nice. We had our 5-year plan (enjoy each other as husband/wife to build a strong foundation before kids were even considered, get decent jobs and a house). Then God turned that into a 7-1/2 year reality!

For those of you that know Simms, you are aware that HE is very good with kids of all ages. He just is. He doesn't have to work at it. It is natural for him. Not me...I have to work at it. And yet, amidst all of this, I love being "mommy" and I absolutely adore the two miracles that God has blessed me with. I had to come to the place where I am completely satisfied to simply walk with Him - regardless of where that path/journey leads. When He asked me to be a mommy and teacher I was good with that. And now I have been home full time for over 2 years and I am good with that too. Sometimes, I admit, I get starved for "meaningful" conversation (which Jeter often provides believe it or not!) and I am still definitely a goal-oriented person, but I have learned how important and fulfilling the little things are. Here are a few of the latest "little things"

Barber's growing vocabulary! "My turn" means I want to do this by myself. Sometimes he even adds in "Barber's turn" or "Mommy's turn" to let you know who he would like to see do this. And then, if after multiple tries of "my turn", he is still unable to complete the task, I hear "mommy help"

More cute Barber vocabulary!"No tanks". Sounds quite polite but then he says it at times that are unexpected and almost comical. For example:
Mommy: "Barber say nite-nite to Poppy. Time for hugs and kisses"
BC: "No tanks" or, as per last night...
Mommy: "Barber, have another bite of broccoli (which he loves by the way) or chicken"
BC: "No tanks mommy"
He did eat more.

Jeter came down this morning at 6:30 - I was on the computer after I had exercised (that's another story for another day) and he says "I was just coming down to say good-night again. I had to get up to go to the bathroom". I didn't tell him it was 6:30am and walked him upstairs, tucked him into bed and went to take my shower while he slept another 30 minutes. When he got up at 7ish he said "Mom, it felt like just minutes ago I said good night to you!" I tried to explain that he was right, it was less than an hour ago, but he just couldn't believe that. LOL.

Today at 12:30pm I got a call that Jeter was in the nurse's office at school. His stomach didn't feel great. Not nice. I was able to quickly get things rescheduled (cancel my luncheon at a neighbor's house, not put Barber down for a nap at my parents house, etc.) and get to the school to pick up my sweet little ailing 5 year old. He's ok and is resting now (not napping - he doesn't take those anymore!) and he has told me "Mommy, I love you as much as I can" about 10+ times.

Yes, it is the little things that put a smile on my face every single day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true - it is the little things that put a smile on your face. My little pumpkin will crawl over to me and into my lap now, and that puts a smile on my face. I also love to tickle him and hear him giggle - I love him more and more everyday!

I always wanted to be a mommy, ever since I was really young. I loved to be with little children when I was young as well - they are so adorable and such "sponges". I am so thankful and blessed that the Lord has given me this desire of my heart, and now I pray that I would be the mommy that He has called me to be. I desire to be a Christian example to my son and to help lead him on the path of the Lord - some times I feel that it is a daunting task, so I continue to pray and ask the Lord for guidance in this area.

You are an excellent example to many of how to trust God in raising your children - thanks sis!

Emily said...

Let me start with "I love your blog." It makes me cry, laugh, and gives me insight on parenthood.

This post hits home to me. Hubby and I celebrated our 8-year anniversary 1 month before our daughter was born. Then I turned 30 the month after she was born. The majority of my life, I thought I did not want any children. Now, I love being a mommy. There are days that I still think I would rather not, but they are few. My daughter is now 11-months-old and she will give me hugs and kisses. It makes being her mommy worth it. You are right, it is just the little things.

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...