26 August 2010

You Might Rabbit You Might

Two months is a long time. It's almost 60 days...1/6th of a year...approximately 1440 hours.

A lot has happened over the last two months and yet there is a lot that is the same. Hmmm...I could say that about this little blog - longer time frame but although a lot has happened (and been posted) the heart of it is the same. Why? Because the writer is me.

My babies are growing into independent boys and our family roles have adapted and adjusted accordingly. There has been struggles and successes in our lives and the lives of those we've loved. Sometimes I've talked about it a lot. Other times, I've held it close to my chest - maybe it was too personal to share or it was too difficult to get it into words. There have been many times that I've wanted to sit and write but I either felt like I didn't have the luxury of time to give to this blog or I just couldn't decide what to write about first. Honestly the controversy is still brewing in my head...

So there is the "problem". My solution? I'm going to take a little bit of time, attempt to capture what's been going on and then move forward.

In July I wrote in my journal (the offline one)

Thankful...this is the place my heart is. It doesn't mean that everything is the way I'd want it to be - Dad still has cancer, projects are not 100% complete and schedules are still busy - but my heart is thankful for today. I'm enjoying the now and learning to be more purposeful in the moment rather than wasting it by contemplating and planning for what happens next.

This doesn't mean I'm no longer a planner...that is still part of the way He created me. I'm simply learning how to rest in Him - enjoying the current season and allowing Him to prepare me for the next leg of the journey.

So...what have I been doing / enjoying / treasuring during this season? So glad you asked.

  • Reading to my boys...love this and cannot even begin to talk about all the benefits of this!

  • Listening to Barber read to me.

  • Completing various projects and/or crafts with the boys

  • Going to Hershey Park - riding The Great Bear with Jeter for the first time, watching Barber conquer various fears and enjoying Tiny Timbers, the Mini Scrmbler, the Airplane, Hot Air Balloons and even going down the little water slide with a smile on his face!

  • Teaching Jeter how to wear contacts. Children really learn so much faster than adults!

  • Enjoying having Jeter help me cook and bake. Yes, my boys will be skilled in all areas of the household...no stereotypes here.

  • Working with Barber in the pool and celebrating his success of swimming the width of it all by himself!

  • Making memories with my family - simple statement that encompasses so many activities and moments.

  • Being introduced to organic lollipops by my sister - love them!

  • Nurturing friendships with some amazing ladies - cafe time is truly time well spent.

  • Flag football - this consumed more time than we anticipated this summer but I will never forget watching Jeter make an interception and run for a touchdown or Jeter's passes at QB becoming more precise and on target, giggling at Barber growling at his opponent when he was lined up on defense, and finally, witnessing my boys exhibit good sportsmanship.

  • Completing the Couch to 5K Running Plan with Jeter. What an awesome feat. Jeter's endurance is definitely improved and even though he has begun school, I am still jogging my 30 minutes three times a week.

  • Implementing a laundry system and staying on top of it successfully.

  • Introducing Looney Tunes to the boys - which they love by the way.

  • Getting more involved with my community - on the field with the boys and their families or in the classroom at their schools.

  • Admiring the artistry of our Creator in the majestic landscapes of the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park.


Okay...that feels so much better. I can write about the present without feeling like I've dishonored the past 60 days. However, if there is anything in the above that you want me to expand on please let me know (leave a comment) and I will elaborate. Promise. Let me guess...Looney Tunes right? You want to hear me quote Bugs and Daffy? I'd be happy to comply. Just let me know.

2 comments:

valerie said...

Your title drew me in. I thought about my last 60 days, and it is so hard to think that another surgery has taken so much time to heal. I sure hope that in the next 60 days all of this is a bad memory. I also thought about my kids. B is very successful in the summer internship, N started college on-line, and D earned a starting varsity football position as a sophomore. G is making retirement plans for spring. It sure seems life marches on, but for me it is a parade, not a journey.
We still have the rabbitry to close, it is so hard b/c I cannot be in the barn or hutches. I do take care of the nursery. A lot of extra stress.
Do your boys want a bunny? How about a gift for your nephews?

Mrs. C said...

Valerie! I cannot believe all that you've been going through and what your kiddos are up to - they really grow up fast!

I didn't know you were done with your rabbits. It's not really a question of if my boys want a bunny but if they want the responsibility of caring for one. Right now...no would be there answer (mine too).

Campbell Crew

The Campbell Corner was started in 2006.  I've journaled for decades but this was the first time that I did it on-line and allowed othe...